PASADENA ASSAULT CRIMES DEFENSE LAWYER
In the California criminal code, assault is classified as a violent crime and is subject to severe punishment. For this reason, anyone accused of an assault offense should not hesitate to obtain the services of an experienced criminal defense attorney. Ann Gottesman is an assault crimes defense lawyer with extensive training and experience in the Pasadena area. She has successfully handled assault cases in Pasadena, Los Angeles, Alhambra, West Covina, El Monte, East Los Angeles, Glendale, and other nearby localities. If you are facing assault charges, do not hesitate to contact Ann Gottesman today for advice and assistance.
Types of Assault Crime Charges
When you are accused with an assault offense in California, there are a number of specific assault-related charges you could face, including:
- A simple assault charge, dealt with under California Penal Code Section 240
- Battery, listed under PC Section 242
- Battery against a police officer, PC 243
- Aggravated battery, PC 243(d)
- Domestic battery, PC 243(e)(1)
- Domestic Violence, PC 273.5
- Sexual battery, PC 243.4
- Assault with a deadly weapon (an “ADW”), PC 245(a)(1)
Assault Crime Conviction Consequences
The state of California has some of the strictest and most severely punished anti-violent-crime legislation in the nation. A conviction for assault, or another violent crime, can be charged as either a felony or a misdemeanor. The consequences of a conviction will vary based on the specific charge, the severity of the alleged act of assault, (i.e. injuries) and the defendant’s past criminal record. Some of the possible consequences of an assault conviction include:
- Lengthy terms in the local jail or in state prison
- Heavy fines and full financial restitution to the victim
- Probation, parole, and mandatory counseling sessions
- A permanent blight on your criminal record
- Loss of the right to possess a firearm
- Loss of your current job and of future employment opportunities
- Loss of your driving privileges
- A “strike” on your record, in accordance with California’s Three Strikes Law, which will lead to sentencing enhancements should you be convicted of certain other crimes in the future
Assault Crime Defense Strategies
If you have been arrested on assault charges or are under investigation for an alleged assault, you should waste no time in availing yourself of a well seasoned southern California assault-crimes defense attorney. Some of the most common defense strategies used to defeat assault charges in California include the following arguments:
- The prosecution lacks sufficient evidence to identify the defendant as the aggressor of the crime.
- The defendant acted in self-defense.
- The alleged victim made a false accusation against the accused.
- The defendant acted in the defense of another person.
- The charge brought against the defendant is excessive and should be reduced or dismissed.
Assistance With Your Assault Crime Case
If you have been charged with an assault crime in Pasadena or southern California, Ann Gottesman stands ready to come to your aid. She has deep experience in all types of assault cases and intricate knowledge of both the California Criminal Code and the California criminal justice system. She has longstanding relationships with local law enforcement, judges, and other attorneys in the Pasadena and San Gabriel area. She understands the seriousness of the charge that you face and will work tirelessly and skillfully to defend you every step of the way.
“ If you are facing criminal charges involving assault or battery, don’t hesitate to call me for a free consultation. I take pride in the fact that I personally handle my cases and want my clients to feel I am at their side every step of the way. I understand the criminal justice system can be a scary and lonely place. If I can’t give you the individual time and attention your case needs, and that YOU need, I won’t take your case. For me, the quality of my representation is more important than the quantity of cases I handle. This is why I can be available to my client’s 7 days a week and most evenings. Ann”
To learn more about California assault law or to schedule a free legal consultation, you can contact the Law Office of Ann Gottesman by calling 626-710-4021 today.